Heavier than a newborn but lighter than a case of beer, two pans of bumpy black and yellow caramel brownies sank my rusty scale to 10.5 pounds.
It was hard not to sneak one before I delivered the hefty box of serve-with-a-glass-of-milk bars to one of my favorite customers. So I did what any self-respecting baker would do. I made another batch to share with my family.
Black and yellow caramel brownies
Brownie & caramel layers:
1 package (approximately 15.25 ounce) dry chocolate cake mix, any flavor – milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, german chocolate, etc.
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
5-ounce can evaporated milk, divided into two portions 1/3 cup each
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag individually wrapped caramels (about 50 caramels)
Yellow & milk chocolate layers:
1 package (approximately 15.25 ounce) dry yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
12-ounce package milk chocolate chips
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13×9 pan or line with parchment paper.
- Stir together chocolate cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup melted butter.
- Reserve approximately 1/4 cup of chocolate batter. Spread the rest in pan and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Scatter 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips onto cake batter.
- Unwrap caramels and melt over low heat (stove top or microwave) with 1/3 cup evaporated milk until creamy.
- Pour caramel over chocolate chips.
- Stir together yellow cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick very soft butter.
- Set half the yellow dough aside.
- Using half of the yellow dough, roll and flatten small portions in your hand. Lay flat pieces on the chocolate chips.
- Bake 6 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium saucepan or in the microwave, melt milk chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon butter, and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth.
- Pour chocolate over yellow cake pieces.
- Flatten remaining yellow cake dough into pieces and lay onto milk chocolate. (It won’t cover the whole pan.)
- Flatten remaining chocolate cake dough into pieces and sprinkle in places not covered by yellow dough.
- Using a small spreader or knife, gently spread doughs but leaving bumps.
- Bake 30 minutes or just until yellow parts start to turn golden.
- Remove from oven. Cut when cooled completely. Store in airtight container.
Sweet mashed wishes,