I gave Jason a choice for his belated birthday dessert—Key lime cheesecake with Patrón sauce or Key lime pie. He chose Key lime pie, but specified he wanted one with pretzel crust.
Heck if I’ve ever written down my recipe so it always takes me a while to figure out how to make it again. And then I worry that it’s not as good as last time.
When it was done, I put the pie in the refrigerator and texted Jason that it would be ready to eat when he and Camden got back to our house that night. The next morning I noticed that there were only two pieces gone. Worried that the pie didn’t turn out, I questioned Jason like a cop busting up an underage party. The interrogation was unwarranted though, as he assured me they liked the pie but it was too sweet to eat huge slices at midnight.
Crisis averted. So that I have the recipe for his next February birthday, here’s the recipe for our favorite Key lime pie—best savored one slice at a time.
For a lighter dessert perfect for Easter Sunday, make summer breeze lime pie from Midwest Living.
Key lime pie
1-1/2 cups pretzel crumbs (approximately 4 cups pretzels)
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup Key lime juice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Key lime or lime zest
Whipped cream for topping, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pretzel crumbs, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until combined. (Or mix crust ingredients in a bowl.)
- Lightly spray 9-inch pie plate. Drop the crust mix into the pan and firmly pat down evenly with the bottom of a measuring cup or the palm of your hand.
- Bake crust 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, pour in the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, Key lime juice, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high until mixed well.
- Stir in lime zest.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or just until set.
- Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Keep leftovers in refrigerator up to 4 days.
Sweet and sour birthday wishes,